Sunday, August 28, 2016

ZBrush - Augmented Female Headbust PART 01

Just moved back into parents place after graduation.  Commute to the studio is now 2 hours to, and then 2 hours back.  Four hours of travel =\  at least I can bring my laptop and work on things, but man o man.

I took a break from the moving and the UE4 scene to watch a tutorial on hard-surface pieces in ZBrush.  I'm feeling great about this, so I'll keep working on it.  This week I'll be adding subd and secondary machine parts to the form.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Decals and lighting punch

Where are the posts?! This week has been a lot of punching the scene with decals and lighting. I'm amazed at how well the torn pages and assorted props help the scene.  I kept some two of the floor lights as dynamic lights because of the IES and the payoff.  For the final push this weekend, I'll make a small toolbox and a few worktools for the construction area before I call it done with modeling.  

Monday, August 22, 2016

Added door asset

I've been secretly avoiding a door in this scene because I enjoyed the window setup, but it's time to face it!  I made the door prop within a 4 hour time-span, including distraction videos of Let's Play's and Achievement Hunter.  Tomorrow I'll make a special glass window for the door, so it can be more visible in this messy cluster of props with the addition of some normal maps for the storage bin.  I'll also look into decals for the floor. Give it a touch of information, just like the door has.

Thursday, August 18, 2016


I wanted to post to Polycount and I finally did! Here are the images I posted.  I'll be receiving feedback and updating.  Currently, I have some lightmap UV's to clean up and lighting.  Furthermore, extra material work will be done to the walls since they are quite shiny.  Actually, everything is quite shiny. cawcawwwwww.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Moving things around. here and IRL

Moving out of my apartment in two weeks!  Going to be a busy next 9 months for me. Also moved some things around in here.  Hopefully I can get a Polycount thread running! Also, I got to kill off these lens flares.  ruining my screenshots

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

ONE.Something wrong with me...

It's a good song. Gets the metal flowing in the bloodstream \m/

I've completed a body bag prop and spent time in the post process volumes, trying to get something that'll be usable for now.  I'm going to end up adding some belts on the bodybags to keep it sealed-shut and hopefully make it more interesting.  I left space in the UV's for it.  Furthermore, I've added a plastic cloth with APEX.  It's absent in this post, but next one I"ll toss it up.

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Doing more Environment,Materials and Lighting Prop

I've spent this weekend going back into Quixel and changing up materials for some already in-game assets.  It's been a nice weekend of creating designs, materials, and particles. This week I hope I can put some time in the quarantine room, perhaps adding some PHSYX plastics and a bodybag

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Environments and Particles Part 1: It's like a Guitar without the strings.

Unreal is lethal with particles.  I've worked with Unity 5's particle system where it's straightforward to assemble and easy to navigate. Unreal Engine requires somewhat more research.  Nonetheless, I caught on and reused the same material from my Capstone project in here.  Very happy with the outcome of it.  I made two variations: One that's for ventilation and another to "fake" volumetric lights underneath lit areas.

Monday, August 1, 2016


One of my weakness's tend to be taking my time on texturing.  I see ArtStation and see posts of artist creating masterpieces in 2-3 days, sometimes in a single space.  It's a pressure and a goal that together might be hampering me.  It eats at me and I know I need to block it, but I find myself inspired at the same time.   I need to take that time with this environment and find my flow with it.  

This is an update where I spent time creating and updating some materials to assemble a look.  I also began placing spotlights and editing properties for them.  Since I upgraded to Windows 10, I noticed this weird digital effect when I used Unreal Screenshot.  It looked rad so I kept them \m/